Class VIII The Last Bargain - Phonetic Transcription of the Text

The Last Bargainðə lɑːst ˈbɑːgɪn 
BY RABINDRANATH TAGOREbaɪ ɑːr-eɪ-biː-aɪ-ɛn-diː-ɑːr-eɪ-ɛn-eɪ-tiː-eɪʧ tiː-eɪ-ʤiː-əʊ-ɑːr-iː 

"Come and hire me," I cried, "kʌm ænd ˈhaɪə miː," aɪ kraɪd, 
while in the morning I was walking waɪl ɪn ðə ˈmɔːnɪŋ aɪ wɒz ˈwɔːkɪŋ  
on the stone-paved road. ɒn ðə stəʊn-peɪvd rəʊd. 
Sword in hand, sɔːd ɪn hænd, 
the King came in his chariot. ðə kɪŋ keɪm ɪn hɪz ˈʧærɪət. 
He held my hand and said, hiː hɛld maɪ hænd ænd sɛd, 
"I will hire you with my power." "aɪ wɪl ˈhaɪə juː wɪð maɪ ˈpaʊə." 
But his power counted for nought, bʌt hɪz ˈpaʊə ˈkaʊntɪd fɔː nɔːt, 
and he went away in his chariot. ænd hiː wɛnt əˈweɪ ɪn hɪz ˈʧærɪət. 

In the heat of the midday ɪn ðə hiːt ɒv ðə ˈmɪddeɪ  
the houses stood with shut doors. ðə ˈhaʊzɪz stʊd wɪð ʃʌt dɔːz. 
I wandered along the crooked lane. aɪ ˈwɒndəd əˈlɒŋ ðə krʊkt leɪn. 
An old man came out with his bag of gold. ən əʊld mæn keɪm aʊt wɪð hɪz bæg ɒv gəʊld. 
He pondered and said,hiː ˈpɒndəd ænd sɛd, 
"I will hire you with my money."  "aɪ wɪl ˈhaɪə juː wɪð maɪ ˈmʌni." 
He weighed his coins one by one, hiː weɪd hɪz kɔɪnz wʌn baɪ wʌn, 
but I turned away. bʌt aɪ tɜːnd əˈweɪ. 

It was evening. ɪt wɒz ˈiːvnɪŋ. 
The garden hedge was all aflower. ðə ˈgɑːdn hɛʤ wɒz ɔːl aflower. 
The fair maid came out and said, ðə feə meɪd keɪm aʊt ænd sɛd, 
"I will hire you with a smile." "aɪ wɪl ˈhaɪə juː wɪð ə smaɪl." 
Her smile paled and melted into tears, hɜː smaɪl peɪld ænd ˈmɛltɪd ˈɪntuː teəz, 
and she went back alone into the dark. ænd ʃiː wɛnt bæk əˈləʊn ˈɪntuː ðə dɑːk. 

The sun glistened on the sand, ðə sʌn ˈglɪsnd ɒn ðə sænd, 
and the sea waves broke waywardly. ænd ðə siː weɪvz brəʊk ˈweɪwədli. 
A child sat playing with shells. ə ʧaɪld sæt ˈpleɪɪŋ wɪð ʃɛlz. 
He raised his head and seemed to know me, hiː reɪzd hɪz hɛd ænd siːmd tuː nəʊ miː, 
and said, "I hire you with nothing." ænd sɛd, "aɪ ˈhaɪə juː wɪð ˈnʌθɪŋ." 
From thenceforward that bargain struck frɒm ˈðɛnsˈfɔːwəd ðæt ˈbɑːgɪn strʌk  
in child's play made me a free man. ɪn ʧaɪldz pleɪ meɪd miː ə friː mæn. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell Functions in JNV, Karimnagar

ClassXII Should Wizard Hit Mommy? - Phonetic Script of the Text

Phrasal Verbs - 1 (July)